Property insurance is a broad term that encompasses an insurance plan provided by an insurance company that offers either liability coverage or property protection.
When an owner/renter undertakes insurance for his/her assets from an insurance company, financial compensation is provided for such owner or renter in the event of damage.
Also, any third party injured on the property, as a result, may be qualified for financial compensation as well depending on the insurance company’s policy.
An insurance claim is a formal request by the policyholder to an insurance company for coverage or indemnification for a covered loss if a condition meets the stipulations.
After investigations have been extensively carried out, the insurance company may validate or invalidate the claim. If the later is the case, the insurance company compensates the customer or an approved third party on behalf of the said customer.
WHAT CIRCUMSTANCE WOULD A PROPERTY INSURANCE CLAIM BE REJECTED?
By now, you should know the answers to questions such as what is claims, and the definition of insurance. Click here to read more on these.
There exist a plethora of stories about Insurance companies having turned down people at the point of insurance claiming. Here are the top reasons why asset insurance claims are rejected?
- NOT FILING PROMPTLY: Your insurance policy will require that a prompt notification be made to the insurer in the event of any damage. Time is of the essence when filing documentation for any claim as a default may lead to rejection of the claim on a legitimate insurance company covered claim.
- INSUFFICIENT DOCUMENTATION OF THE DAMAGE: The property owner has the responsibility of filing and proving his/her claim to the insurance company. Therefore, it is important for you to meticulously document the damage incurred on the property with an attachment of evidence like photographs of the damage, etc.
This will enable you to prove your case. Where there is a default in this regard, your claim may be rejected.
- EXCLUSION CLAUSES: Insurance contracts including health insurance plan usually have exclusion clauses. If the cause of the damage is an exclusion of the coverage, then your insurer may reject your claim.
- NON-DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL FACTS: You must disclose to your insurer relevant information when taking out your policy or upon renewal of your policy. If you failed to give your insurer accurate information or deliberately withheld vital information, your insurer would not be wrong to reject your claim.
- NON-PAYMENT OF PREMIUM: Payment of premium is like the life of the insurance policy. Your insurer will require that you pay your premium timeously. Where there is a default in the payment of premium, your insurer can reject your claim if damage occurs.
- INTENTIONAL DAMAGE: If after an investigation by the insurer, it is proven that the loss or damage was intentional, criminal, or as a result of your negligence. There is a possibility of your claim being rejected.
Coping with the challenge of damage and a rejected insurance claim can become exasperating. A study of the above reasons for rejection of claim will enlighten you and help you avoid rejection of your insurance policy claim.